- Get a free sign-up bonus of up to $70
- Apps are available on Google Play for desktop, Apple iOS, and Android.
Public.com review is another commission-free investing app that targets Millennials and Gen-Zers looking to invest in line with their social preferences and like-minded individuals. A popular feature of the stock investing app is fractional investing,
The company’s mission is to make investing in stocks more accessible, educational, and fun by allowing people to invest alongside their friends and other well-known investors. Similarly to social media platforms that verify public figures with blue checkmarks,
About the Public App
Commission-free stock trading app Public.com was founded in 2019 following early development and funding. Members can manage stocks, ETFs, and cryptocurrencies from a single platform with the Public.
It doesn’t require minimum deposit amounts or a minimum balance for users to start investing on the platform in an attempt to appeal to younger investors less likely to have lots of cash to invest from day one or on an ongoing basis. You can use the app to make commission-free trades similar to those made on other investing platforms, but it does not accept Payment for Order Flow (“PFOF”).
In essence, PFOF is a way for online discount brokers to earn compensation when they route your trade orders to third parties to execute your orders. Many apps like Robinhood have drawn attention to PFOF for the conflicts of interest it creates between brokerages and users, including incentivizing them to trade more frequently.
READ ALSO: Robinhood promotion
Is Public.com right for you?
|Editor’s rating||4.58 out of 5|
|Promotion||None at this time.|
Overall rating: Let’s learn more about this app in our Public.com review.
|Feature||Insider rating (out of 5)|
Public.com: How to get free stock
- As a free sign-up bonus, the service offers $10 in addition to the ability to give friends and family free stock gifts (fractional shares). Open a free account and make an initial deposit to see if this investing app meets your needs. You can get up to $70 of free stock in a company of your choice if
- Investing app Public.com offers some unique social features. The Public.com app lets you follow other investors, share insights with your friends, and meet new people. The community at Public.com is very active, so there’s always something new to learn.
- Public.com’s use of themes is another interesting feature. A theme is simply a grouping of companies with a similar characteristic (such as female CEOs). Themes can help you find companies to invest in.
- In addition to these unique features, Public.com also offers commission-free trading of stocks, ETFs, and cryptocurrencies. New investors can buy full stock or fractional shares, and there is no minimum deposit or balance requirement.
- They also stand out by not participating in Payment for Order Flow (PFOF), which means they don’t sell your trades. Your trades are instead routed directly to the exchanges.
- Commission-free trading of stocks, ETFs, and cryptocurrencies
- Purchase fractional shares
- Minimums are not required
- Connect with other investors using social features
- Finding companies to invest in can be done using themes
- Make your own list of long-term investments
- Investment Account Types
- Options for investing
- Investment Minimum
- Trading without commissions (no trading fees)
- Sign up for free stock
- Refer a Friend for Free Stocks
- There is a community of investors.
- Reinvesting dividends
- Profiles of public investors
- Investing in fractional shares
- Town halls and public events for education
- Public Live and The Open
- Volatility Reminders and Safety Labels
- Protection of your account
- Payment for order flow (PFOF) does not exist.
|Investment Types||Stocks, ETFs,|
|Access||iPhone App, Android App,|
|Broker Assisted Trade||$30|
|No Fee ETFs||0|
|Customer Service||Phone and Live Chat: M-F 9A-5P ET; Email|
Public.com Pros and Cons
- No account minimums: Public.com does not require a minimum deposit or a minimum balance.
- An active investing community built with engagement and transparency: The investments of members are public, and you can discuss topics related to investing with other members.
- No commissions but also PFOF-free: There are no trading fees. Tipping is an option, but it is not required. Further, they do not have an inherent conflict of interest when routing orders to market makers rather than directly to exchanges.
- Fractional shares: You can buy “stock slices” instead of a full share in the Public app if you don’t have the funds or desire to purchase a full share.
- Great customer service: Public.com staff can be contacted in a number of ways. You can email them, use the live chat (with real humans), or contact them via social media.
- Custodial accounts: Currently, the Public investing app does not offer custodial accounts. It is still possible for minors to download the app and use the inactive version to invest in stocks of their favorite companies. Traders will not be able to trade shares, but they can follow investors, track stocks in the app, and learn about the stock market.
- Add a web-based view or desktop app: Public.com does not offer an option to trade outside of the mobile app.
- Quicker deposit clearing: Members’ bank deposits can often take up to five business days to settle in their accounts. Debit card deposits are instant but are limited to $1,000 per transaction.
Public.com offers several ways to invest.
1. Investing in stocks and ETFs
Public offers more than 9,000 stocks and ETFs, so you can choose from a variety of investment options. Additionally, you can invest fractional shares (at least $1 is needed) and trade commission-free with a taxable brokerage account. Furthermore, it offers a few other features that can help you make the best investment choices.
The “Investing Themes” feature allows you to tailor your portfolio based on your interests. The “Top Movers” feature lets you see which stocks are experiencing the highest or lowest movement each day, and the “Stock Trends” feature compares the most popular investments with the least popular ones.
Apex Crypto, the Public’s partner, now allows you to diversify your portfolio with digital assets. Public began offering cryptocurrency investing in October 2021, and it currently offers 25 coins and tokens. Among its investment selections are, but are not limited to, the following:
Orders will be placed through the Public platform, but Apex Crypto will execute them. Your crypto will also be held by its partner, who will charge a markup between 1% and 2%.
|Commissions & Fees||10|
|Tools & Resources||5|
|Ease of Use||9.5|
Despite its limitations, the Public is a solid broker for investors looking to build a community and share ideas. There is a possibility that Public will expand its product offerings, including account types and investment options, portfolio analysis and reporting tools, and so on, given its latest funding round.
However, beginners looking to develop their investing skills would be better served by a larger broker with a more comprehensive offering into which they can grow. You can make do with a less social trading app if you just want to passively invest with a broker like Vanguard. The Public believes that a sizeable group of new, mobile-only investors will appreciate the social element above all else.
Is public com legit?
Is the public legit? Yes. Public Investment is a real brokerage app and is SIPC-insured up to $500,000 per account. Strategic investments can make members money, just as with any brokerage.
What kind of company is public com?
Investing platform Public.com helps people become better investors. Owning on Public gives you access to a rich community of investors, creators, and analysts to create content and education relevant to your portfolio.